Pages

Monday 24 August 2015

Life Drawing 18.8.15

Challenging angles and reflections

A very challenging session this time! Just as we all draw in different ways all the models have their own styles and bring something different to each session. This time our model, Jude, gave us some really interesting poses that really challenged us, it was hard work but good as I had to focus on what I was doing and concentrate on drawing what was there rather than what I thought was there.

Continuous line

Blind drawing

Continuous line

The poses were challenging because they featured unusual angles and perspectives. After doing Life Drawing for a while you build up an understanding and knowledge of the body and how it fits together. When the model throws in an unusual angle or twist this knowledge is challenged and so you have to use your observational skills rather than relying on previously gathered information.

Blind drawing

Blind Drawing


Continuous line

Continuous line

To add another challenge Jude had brought a mirror with her which was a great idea and added another layer of interest (confusion?) to our drawings. I really liked the use of the mirror; as well as giving us reflections to draw it also changed the lighting and created unexpected highlights as light was reflected back onto Jude's body. I'd be interested in doing more work with mirrors.


Continuous line

Continuous line

Reflections

Continuous line

Because the poses were quite challenging I spent quite a bit of time doing 'blind' drawings. This is where I don't look at the page as I'm drawing. I find it very helpful as it helps me to properly look and observe, as I am not looking at what I'm drawing on the page my focus is almost exclusively on observing which helps me better understand the pose so I can then go on to produce a more accurate drawing.

Continuous line

Continuous line

Continuous line


No comments:

Post a Comment