Pages

Sunday 21 February 2016

Life Drawing 9.6.16

Pen and scribbles

This session seemed to come around even quicker than usual, which in fact it did because rather than being the third Tuesday of the month it was the second. But even so, the weeks do seem to fly by! It was a very different session to last time, much quieter and slower (in a good way; relaxed slower not boring slower.)

Quick study

Sparse lines

Hand study

I find it very interesting how much the atmosphere depends on the people present. There were fewer of us and we did not have the students this time so the whole pace seemed more laid back. We did have another new face which was great, it helps keep us regulars a bit more on the ball when we have new people and therefore new approaches.

Multiple drawings of a pose

Multiple drawings of a pose

Multiple drawings of a pose

I felt really comfortable and confident with my drawing in this session. I think this was largely because I've been keeping up my daily drawing and trying to make a little time each day to do something creative and partly because our model is one of the models who has been with us from the very start. Working with people you know means there's less need to worry about their needs; I know that Nick will shout up if anything needs changing so I don't need to monitor things and anticipate things so much so can focus more on my drawing.

Working on getting the head right

Hand study

Hand study

Hand study

As well as my usual continuous line and 'blind' drawings I spent  bit of time this session focusing on using tone a bit more. I still worked with my trusty pens and a scribbly loose approach but I wanted to experiment with making my drawings a bit more solid. I enjoyed working this way although as I'm not as practised at it I felt less confident and clear about what I was doing. I quite like the results but I'm not sure they're as effective as my line drawings. Sometimes less is more!

Focusing on the face

Head study

Head study

I also continued my efforts to get better at heads and faces, I really do think I am making progress with this and am feeling more confident. I still prefer hands and feet but I feel more able to have a go at faces now without worrying that it's going to totally ruin the rest of my drawing!

'Blind' drawing

Continuous line

Page of sketches

The next session is Tuesday 15th March and I'm looking forward to it being a little bit different again...

No comments:

Post a Comment