Pages

Sunday 7 January 2018

Creative Beginings


The Dark and the Light, 2018

As in previous years (see here and here) I decided to start the year creatively by making a postcard for Surface Gallery's annual International Postcard Show.  I really like this project at the start of the year as it's small and achievable so I can begin the year with that cathartic sense of having finished something!

The Dark and the Light, 2018
Detail

Last years postcard
ended being a bit of a turning point for me, it gave me the confidence to pursue a way of making I'd been dabbling with and have ended up developing a lot over the last year. It's also one of the first pieces I felt confident enough to write about more openly in terms of meaning rather than just techniques.

Feather, 2018

This years postcards continue my feather drawing explorations and use of collage. I've been doing a lot of drawing on tracing paper as I like to exploit the transparent qualities and both postcards feature feathers drawn on tracing paper, one of which I've used 'wrong' side up. For the collage I've used some of my handmade paper as well as bits of gold paper and my handmade silk paper.

Feather, 2018
Detail

The first postcard is called 'The Dark and the Light' and reflects my interest in contrasts and dichotomies. There are two sides to every story so they say and it's good to know both sides before making any judgements or decisions. The second postcard is simply titled 'Feather' and features a single feather embellished with hand embroidery. I'm a bit sad we've left 2017 and moved into 2018 because the number 7 is a heck of a lot easier to stitch than an eight. And on that philosophical bombshell I shall leave you, until next time...

Stitched signature

No comments:

Post a Comment