Pages

Thursday 1 March 2018

Life Drawing 20.2.18


Continuous line

Usually it seems like no time at all between sessions but I did feel like we'd had quite a big break this time as it was 6 weeks rather than the usual 4 as I'd had to shift the dates around. As usual I was tired from a busy day at work but I was also looking forward to drawing.

Hand

Hand

Feet

It always interests me how the atmosphere changes depending on who turns up. For this session I was the only female which was unusual as normally there is a mix. I found that the atmosphere was more intense than normal, but that could have been the personalities present as much as anything else. This change in dynamic is one of the reasons I like the Life Drawing sessions, it alters each time and so changes my drawings too.

Blind drawing

Blind drawing

Blind drawing: faces

Although I have mostly been keeping up with my daily drawing practice I felt really rusty for this session and wasn't particularly happy with any of my drawings. However, I enjoyed the discipline of being there and drawing and working through the disappointment with my sketches. I really enjoyed 'blind' drawing too, I've found this really helps me when I'm struggling with a pose as it makes me really focus on the pose rather than the drawing and I notice things I might otherwise miss.

Blind drawing

Drawing with my non dominant hand

Continuous line

Interestingly, looking back on the drawings after a week or so when I came to photograph them I was a lot happier with them and there are some that I think are actually quite good. One of the poses meant that I had some extreme foreshortening to contend with but I'm pleased with how some of the sketches from this pose have worked out.

Extreme foreshortening 

Extreme foreshortening 

Extreme foreshortening 

I was very impressed with some of the charcoal studies some of the other artists had done and I think that next session I might have a go with charcoal, it's been a while but it might be good to break out of my pen habit and try something different.

Hands

Continuous line

Continuous line

No comments:

Post a Comment