Pages

Wednesday 20 January 2016

Life Drawing 19.1.16

Continuous line drawing

I had to cancel the December Life Drawing session due to a flood at the Prism Arts studio so I was really ready to get back to Life Drawing, it's been a while (November.) However, good things come to those who wait (so they say) and it was an excellent session. In keeping with it being the first session of the New Year we had a new model and I was very pleased that we also had several new faces in the form of art students from the university.

Continuous line drawing

Continuous line drawing

Continuous line drawing

Our model for the session does a lot of modelling for magazines as well as for individual artists and she gave us some really lovely, dynamic poses. I find it endlessly interesting how all the different models have their own style and how even when they use the same poses they seem very different. I think this is one of the reasons Life Drawing is such good practice for any kind of artist, it really makes you focus on what's there rather than what you think is there.

Red pen, layered drawings

Continuous line drawing

Green pen, shading

I also found it interesting how having the students altered the atmosphere of the group, they all worked quickly and with a great deal of energy which radiated out to the rest of the us. It also meant that I had rivals for the 'Most Pieces of Paper Used in a Life Drawing Session' award...

Continuous line drawing

Continuous line drawing

Continuous line drawing

Since the start of the year I've been keeping up with my daily drawing practice so I felt ready and keen to get drawing for this session. I really enjoyed just drawing, not worrying too much about the outcome and just letting the lines flow. I had some interesting foreshortening for some of the poses and so some bits were quite challenging, some poses I got and others not so much.

Permanent Marker

Continuous line drawing

Continuous line drawing

I tend to make multiple drawings of each pose as I draw very quickly and as I was drawing I was thinking that with each drawing I learn something a little bit different about the pose. I can then take this little bit of information into the next drawing and so bit by bit build up a better picture, quite literally!

Permanent Marker

Continuous line drawing

Continuous line drawing

Last year I was challenging myself to get better at faces as a lot of my drawings feature headless bodies because I find faces quite difficult. I'm carrying on with this challenge and was pleased with some of the faces I drew tonight, like all things the only way to get better is to practice! All in all it was a good start to the life drawing year and I'm looking forward to the next session on 9th February (please contact me if you'd like to join the session.)








No comments:

Post a Comment