Pages

Saturday 16 January 2016

Workshops and Websites

Embroidered Goose. Textile markers and hand embroidery on printed fabric, 2015

This week I've been busy making samples and worksheets for some of the workshops that I've got coming up. I've got several workshops coming up in different locations and I'm really looking forward to all of them! One of the things that I like about running workshops is that it gives me a good excuse to have a play about with materials and techniques. This helps keep my skills up to date and inspires me to try new things and expand my own skill set.

Sketches and notes for samples


Shadow Embroidery sample

Pin Stitch, shadow appliqué sample

I also often find that this 'playing' leads to new ideas and ways to resolve problems I've been facing in my work. In creating samples for an upcoming Shadow-work workshop I've been inspired to carry on with a large magpie piece I started and then sort of abandoned last year. I've now almost finished it and although it is quite different to how I originally envisaged the piece I think I'm quite pleased with it. It usually takes me a little while to decide I'm happy (or not) with a piece!

Shadow Work Magpie in progress

Shadow Work Magpie in progress

Similarly, in creating samples for an upcoming Hand Embroidery workshop at Tullie House I was inspired to work back into some fabric drawings I'd done last year, painting and stitching into them. I'm pleased with how this work is progressing and I can see how this might develop into new pieces.

Drawing on fabric: Painted and stitched

Drawing on fabric: Painted and stitched

I've also added a new 'Workshops' page to my website, which I've been meaning to do for a little while now. I love running workshops so I'm hoping that this might make me a bit more accessible!

Screen shot


Upcoming Workshops:

Saturday 20th February 2016
Tullie House Museum and Art Gallery, Carlisle

Shadow Work
Saturday 27th February 2016
Cumberland Embroiderers Guild, Carlisle

An Introduction to Felt Making
Saturday 16th April 2016
Watchtree Nature Reserve
(Details TBC)

Saturday 23rd April 2016
Tullie House, Museum and Art Gallery

Folded Sketchbooks
Saturday 7th May 2016
Watchtree Nature Reserve
(Details TBC)

No comments:

Post a Comment