Pages

Monday 1 August 2016

Life Drawing 19.7.16

Continuous Line

We're never quite satisfied with the weather are we? We moan about the rain and the wind, wish for the sun and then when it arrives we complain about the heat. However, it really was hot for July's life drawing session and I think we all felt rather lethargic and perhaps a little less enthusiastic than usual! As I was setting up the room I couldn't help but think that lying on the cold stone flags in the hallway would be a much more sensible way to spend the evening.

'Blind' drawing

'Blind' drawing

'Blind' drawing

'Blind' drawing

Unusually I wasn't worried about my model being too cold this session; quite the opposite and over the course of the session I could see the heat was getting to us all. We avoided dynamic poses, working with poses that involved being as stretched out and relaxed as possible. As I was due to go away on holiday the following week I was quite tired anyway and was just looking forward to doing some drawing and then going home.

Left handed drawing

Left handed drawing

'Blind' drawing

Our model for this session is quite new to modelling and so needed more prompting than I'm used to with my more experienced models. This is not such a bad thing as it forces me to give more consideration to the poses and think about how they will work from different angles, I want to ensure that all the artists get to draw a range of poses and positions and to keep the session interesting for everyone. Along with having several new artists joining the group recently I've been inspired to think more about the set up and lighting and this is something I'm looking forward to experimenting with in future sessions.

Continuous line

Continuous line

Continuous line

Partly because of the heat, partly because I was tired and partly just because that's the way it goes sometimes I wasn't really happy with my drawings this evening. I often feel dissatisfied at the time but look back and see that actually there were some good drawings. I'm not sure I can say this about this session, even looking back over the drawings I'm not very happy but one of the things that I like about life drawing is that it doesn't really matter. It's much more about the process, the turning up and observing and  taking part.

Continuous line

Continuous line

Continuous line

I have also fallen out of my daily drawing habit again and it really shows in my drawings from this evening. I'm always surprised by how much of a difference it makes drawing everyday so that's something I can get back into. I'm having a break from sessions in August but will re-start in September, I'll post the details when I've got it all booked and sorted out!

Continuous line

Continuous line

Continuous line

Continuous line



No comments:

Post a Comment