Pages

Sunday 4 June 2017

Feather Sketchbook

Sample detail from Feather sketchbook

I recently posted about the folding sketchbooks I like to make and following on from this I thought I'd share one of my finished sketchbooks with you. I worked on this book early this year and it's an exploration of feathers.

Work in progress

Words associated with feathers

Paper cutting experiment

Like most of my sketchbooks there is a combination of drawing, sampling and writing, both about ideas and about feathers directly. The sketches are mixes of observational drawings and ideas of pieces of work I'd like to make or am thinking about making.

Partially opened up sketchbook

Front cover (cyanotype and stitch)

Front cover (detail)

Working in a sketchbook allows me to collect all my thoughts and ideas together and to try things out. A lot of the textile processes I use are very labour intensive and time consuming. Testing out ideas on a small scale in my sketchbook can often mean that I can work out whether an idea will work and whether it's likely to be worth investing the time and energy or not!

Page details

Page details

Page details

Page details

I'm not generally precious about my sketchbooks, this means that I tend to be willing to try things out and not worry too much. Working in this low pressure way can often mean that new ideas pop up which I then have the option to explore or record and come back to.

Sketchbook Pages

Sketchbook Pages

Sketchbook Pages

Sketchbook Pages

Sketchbook Pages

Sketchbook Pages


2 comments:

  1. This is beautiful! I'm new to your work and am having such a lovely, inspirational trip through your blog. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm pleased you're enjoying it and feeling inspired. I find my blog is a great place to share my work and it's lovely to hear what people think.

      Delete