Pages

Saturday 1 March 2014

Mixed media Surfaces and Vessels Workshops

A selection of the vessels made

Quite some time ago I was asked by Tullie House to run a workshop for Cumbria Adult Education tutors based on one of the exhibitions at Tullie House. So, today that's what I've been doing. The workshop is part of their CPD (continued professional development) programme and so needed to offer the chance to learn and develop skills and share best practice. I was so nervous about the session as I felt quite intimidated by the idea of teaching teachers but all the tutors were really lovely and I very much enjoyed the session.

Experimenting with mixed media surfaces

Experimenting with mixed media surfaces

Experimenting with mixed media surfaces

The workshop was inspired by the Natasha Daintry exhibition at Tullie House, which is an installation composed of lots of delicate, slip cast vessels. I was really inspired by the idea of making vessels as it relates to my own work anyway and I thought it would be a good workshop activity as we could create our own installation at the end. When I was asked to do the workshop I was asked to create a session that would look at using mixed media and possibly 3D so I decided to look at using mixed media to create interesting surfaces that we could then manipulate into 3D forms.

Poster paint prints

Experimenting with mixed media surfaces

Combining textures and printing techniques

For this session I wanted to focus on encouraging people to have a play and experiment. I kept the materials and techniques simple so that people could just enjoy trying out different materials and techniques without worrying about getting it wrong or right. All the tutors teach art and design in some form or other but within that there was great diversity; including glass artists, fine artists and textile artists. I wanted the workshop to appeal to all disciplines but to also offer a bit of a challenge or at least the opportunity to do something a bit different to their normal practice.

Experimenting with mixed media surfaces

Experimenting with mixed media surfaces

Experimenting with mixed media surfaces

The workshop began by looking at different ways to create interesting surfaces using every day and basic art materials. Once we had created these surfaces we then looked at rolling, tying and stitching the 2D surfaces to make vessels which we then arranged together. Throughout the session all the tutors were talking to each other, sharing ideas and hopefully enjoying trying things out. There was a friendly, creative atmosphere with lots going on.

Making the pieces into vessels

Making the pieces into vessels

Making the pieces into vessels

This piece really evolved during the workshop

As with all the workshops I've run I really enjoyed seeing the different approaches everybody took, I always find this very inspiring and come away with lots of new ideas and enthusiasm myself. One thing I found particularly interesting was peoples approach to colour, I don't use much colour in my work but for other people it's a really important element and their main starting point. For other people themes and ideas developed as they worked and it was good to be able to see the evolution of the work, even in such a short session. It was great at the end of the session when we put all the vessels together; there were so many really different pieces but they all worked well together.

My samples

The finished vessels

The finished vessels

The finished vessels

The finished vessels

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for a very enjoyable day. I bought glue and white poster paint on my way home, was so buzzing with creativity.
    S xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so pleased you enjoyed it and were inspired, thank you for letting me know. I had a great time!

      Delete