Pages

Thursday 5 July 2018

Pictures with Fabric and Thread at The Eden Workshop

Building up an image of wildflowers using fabrics, lace and stitch

Recently I ran a new workshop at The Eden Workshop called 'Pictures with Fabric and Threads.' I had five lovely participants on my course, several of whom had been on workshops with me before. It's always nice when people come back for more, it's a good confidence boost! I'm always pleased to be asked to run courses at The Eden Workshop, it's a lovely friendly and relaxed venue and my participants and I are always well looked after and fed. There is also a great supply of materials and bits and pieces to satisfy my inner magpie.

My sample: layered fabrics, trims, beads and hand stitch

My sample: Lace, fabrics and machine and hand embroidery

Creating texture with layers of fabric and 'stitch and slash' techniques

Stitch and slash sample

The session came about as I'd already run several workshops here and Jane and I were thinking of new ideas. I really love playing with fabrics and textures so that was the starting point; a workshop that would give people an opportunity to experiment with different fabrics and threads to create a unique piece of textile art. When I'm teaching my main aim is to help people discover their own creativity and style, I hope I can give people the confidence to try something and follow their own ideas as well as teaching them specific skills.

Creating a plan to work from

Creating a plan and selecting materials

This workshop was a good chance for me to experiment and test a few techniques out too. Much of my work, particularly the bird portraits, focuses on one element (usually a bird) and rarely features backgrounds so for this workshop I looked at creating work that covered the whole of my base fabric. I take a lot of photographs, often of landscapes, as colour references and I decided to use some of these as inspiration. It was good working in a slightly different way as it allowed me to take processes I'm familiar with, such as layering sheer fabrics, and use them to create different effects. I was also very proud of myself for managing to create some smaller scale work!

Building up texture with different fabrics and layers

Building up texture with different fabrics and layers

Building up texture with different fabrics and layers

I also used this session as a chance to experiment a bit more with the sewing machine, looking at creating different 'stitch and slash' textures with layers of fabrics and trying out some of the more decorative stitches that I rarely use but which I thought would be good to incorporate into our designs. I thought this would give participants a chance to get to know their machines better and make use of more of the stitches available.

Building up backgrounds

Building up backgrounds

Building up backgrounds

During the workshop I encouraged my participants to pick an image and look at slightly abstracting or simplifying it by creating very rough sketches. Once we'd done this I then encouraged them to get stuck into the fabrics and materials and to pick a selection that appealed to them and suggested the textures they wanted to create; such as layers of fabric and lace for water or tweeds for fells. We then worked up our pictures in layers and added details with yarns, trims, beads and other embellishments.

Adding detail with yarn and beads

Adding detail with yarn and beads

It was a really enjoyable session to run. Everyone had different ideas and it was great seeing the pieces come together over the course of the day. Everyone had a go at the stitch and slash technique but because of the different materials they'd chosen and designs they'd created we got really varied effects. I always find this the most exciting thing about workshops; how people can take the same materials and techniques but use them so differently. I find this very inspiring and always go away from workshops full of ideas and eager to try new things!

Building detail with different textured fabrics

Adding detail with trims and beads


1 comment: