Pages

Friday 1 February 2013

The Sea: Textiles Project

Tie dye and fabric pom-poms

Recently I've been working with KS4 at James Rennie School. I've come in as a textile artist to work with the students to produce some work based around the theme of the sea. There are two groups, one group are doing their entry level qualifications so the work I've been doing with them will count towards that which is really exciting. A couple of weeks ago we did some tie-dye to produce interesting effects on fabric and this week we began making stuff!

Finished pom-poms and an almost finished one

Pom-pom detail


With the first group I did fabric pom-poms. These are so much fun to do and look really great when finished. It's also a lovely sensory experience as the more different textured materials you use the more interesting the pom-poms are to make and the better the finished piece looks and feels. I really enjoyed this session and I think the students did too; the atmosphere was calm but productive and it was good seeing everyone have a good search through the materials to find something they liked. The finished pom-poms look great and hopefully they will hang in front of the rag-rug piece the other group are making, which will look very effective.

Pom poms in progress

Pom pom detail


In the afternoon I worked with the qualification group. We discussed our ideas about design from the last session and I taught them the basic 'proddy' technique of rag-rug making, using wooden pegs I'd carved to a point. Each student made a sample piece and we began on the larger group piece. It was a very enjoyable afternoon, the students were quick to learn and engaged really well with the activity. I can't wait to go back and see how they get on with the final piece!

Working on individual samples

Working on individual samples

Working on individual samples


Starting the group piece

No comments:

Post a Comment