Pages

Monday 10 February 2014

Crochet Pots and Baskets

Small sari silk and wool pot

I have mentioned (okay, gone on and on) about the health benefits of craft here many times. There have been several articles circulating recently on this topic and there is now an impressive body of research to support the proposition that craft can improve your health, in particular your mental health.

Sari silk and wool pot

The act of creating something with your hands from basic materials is inherently satisfying and the sense of achievement when a piece is finished can be a real boost. Crafting also often involves quiet, repetitive processes which can be very therapeutic and can help to calm and relax. Often, your chosen craft will require just enough brain power to keep other thoughts at bay whilst at the same time allowing you to relax and let your mind wander in a more positive, creative way. It can also provide social opportunities; craft groups offer a chance to meet people who you know you've got at least one thing in common with and as you have something to do it can be a much less intimidating way of meeting people.

Making the pot

Making the pot

In my own pursuit of creative well-being I have been crocheting a great deal recently and have been experimenting with making some baskets. I had some beautiful yarn made from strips of recycled saris and I have been playing around with this. I tried it on its own but it was a bit too floppy so for my next experiment I added a wool yarn and used a smaller hook which has given a much denser fabric and a much stronger pot.

Large sari silk basket

Detail

In progress

The little blue basket started out as a hat but I decided it was too basket like! Like the large sari silk basket it is not as structurally strong as I would like but once it has things in it it stands up pretty well.

Small blue basket

Blue basket

Detail

Detail

No comments:

Post a Comment