Pages

Saturday 6 April 2013

Applique and Embroidery

Applique and Embroidery Sample
I thought I'd share some more of the samples I've been working on for the upcoming workshops I'm doing (see previous post.)

I'm going to be doing some embroidery and applique workshops at Carlisle Library over the next couple of months as part of the No Borders programme which is running alongside the Outside In exhibition at Tullie House. You can find out more about these and the other workshops on offer over on Prism Arts website.

Cross and star stitch on bonded applique

Shisha stitched mirror and basque stitch


Stitch detail and bonded applique

Dorset wheel button in wool

I've tried to use a couple of different applique techniques in this sample including needle turned applique and using fusible webbing to bond one fabric to another. I've also done a bit with raw edges and stitching. I've added some hand stitched shisha mirrors (which was a new technique for me) and a dorset wheel button as well as various embroidery stitches.

Reverse applique sample

Reverse applique detail

Appliqued motif with stitching

In this sample I've cut out and appliqued some motifs from printed fabrics and done some reverse applique, where you put the appliqued fabric underneath and then cut away the top layer. Again, I've added a few embroidery stitches to finish it off.

Hawaiian Applique sample

Blanket stitch detail

Stitch detail

I tried another new technique here, called Hawaiian applique. A motif is cut from one fabric as you would cut a paper snowflake and then appliqued onto a base fabric. I added blanket stitch, chain stitch, running stitch and star stitch for extra surface interest. I like the folk art feel of this sample, especially as I did not anticipate it turning out that way!

Crazy patchwork sample

Stitch detail

Stitch detail

This crazy patchwork sample is one that I started in my first year of University, way back in 2004! I really didn't like doing it as I wasn't a fan of crazy patchwork and I was all rebellious and unreasonable so I never finished it. However, I thought it might be useful for showing off some embroidery stitches so this week I completed it. I'm still not sure about it but I'm pleased to have it finished after all this time.


No comments:

Post a Comment