Pages

Saturday 23 February 2013

Felting Fun

Felted Purse

I had a lovely day on Wednesday working in my new studio, it's so great to have all my stuff accessible and have space to work. I did some painting and some felting that I've been wanting to do for ages. I have quite a few old crochet doileys that I've been planning to combine with felt for several months but I've not had the time or space to do it, so I decided my first project in my new studio would be trying this idea.

Open view

Open view

Originally I intended to wet felt the crochet into the felt. However, because of the way felt shrinks as you make it I couldn't get it to work. By the time it had shrunk enough to not distort the crochet it was too felted to add the crochet in and if I tried to add the crochet in before then it ended up too distorted or not held in well enough. So, I compromised and wet felted the piece and then needle felted the crochet in. I used a combination of merino and shetland wool with a bit of tussah silk for an extra special finish. I finished it off with pearl and crystal beads.

Detail of crochet and beads

Detail of felt

I'm really pleased with this little purse and even though it took me most of the day to make this one thing I think that it is a way of working that I will take forward and develop further. I like the combination of textures and the way the crochet 'peeks' out from the felt.

Detail

Detail

No comments:

Post a Comment