Pages

Wednesday 16 September 2015

Life Drawing 15.9.15

Continuous line, pen 

I can't believe it's a whole month since I last posted, where does the time go? Can it actually go anywhere any way and does it matter? Probably not, I am once again digressing. This months life drawing session was a good one, despite being really tired my drawing seemed to just flow well and I enjoyed the quiet, studious atmosphere of the session.

Continuous line, pen 

Drawing blind, continuous line, pen 

Continuous line, pen 

It is now four years since the first session I ran and so it seemed fitting that the model for this session was the model for the very first session. A few things have changed over the years but the basic set up remains the same. It was good to have a new face at the session as well, there is now a good 'core' of regular artists which means that I can afford to keep running the group.

Continuous line, pen 

Continuous line, pen 

Continuous line, pen 

I like drawing Nick, our model for the evening, as he is very satisfying to draw. He is very solidly built and has a statuesque quality that is great to try and capture on paper. I had my usual issues with proportion and faces but overall I was pleased with the drawings I produced.

Continuous line, pen 

Continuous line, pen 

Continuous line, pen 

Continuous line, pen 

I find it very satisfying making continuous line drawings in pen. There is no chance of erasing the line you make so you just have to be confident and go for it, if it's wrong it doesn't matter you can just make another line. I think the continuous line drawings have a real sense of life about them, they are not necessarily the most accurate of drawings but they capture the feel of a pose and a sense of movement and life.

Continuous line, pen 

Continuous line, pen 

Continuous line, pen 

Similarly, working blind (i.e. not looking at the page as I'm drawing) allows me to create drawings that capture the spirit of the pose if not the actual pose. Sometimes they can be quite amusing (I did one this session that looked like a baby gorilla) but usually they manage to capture the essence of a pose surprisingly well. They are also very useful for getting the feel of the pose for a more studied drawing. Working blind means you really focus on the body so when you then come to make a more detailed drawing your eye is 'tuned in.'

Blind drawing, continuous line, pen 

No comments:

Post a Comment