Pages

Wednesday 23 December 2015

Reflections and Resolutions (sort of)

Blackbird Singing. Lino cut. 2015

As Christmas and the New Year rapidly approaches I find myself, like most people I imagine, reflecting on the year and making plans and resolutions for the next one. Overall I've had a really good year, I think the fact that it seems to have gone so quickly reflects how busy it's been! I'm starting to feel really comfortable with myself and feel like I'm doing a pretty good job of getting the balance right, not always of course but overall this year has been a lot less stressful than previous years and so I've enjoyed it more! I've worked on lots of interesting projects, met some lovely people, been to some lovely places, made some good art and craft work and generally just had a nice time.

Bird workshop with Key Stage 1
Needle felting at Tullie Textiles
Lino printing with my Prism Arts group

For next year I would like to carry on having a nice time and largely doing what I want but the main area I would like to develop (as in most years!) is having more time for my own work. I am fortunate that I spend the majority of my time working on creative projects and I love what I do and it pays the bills. Sometimes though I find my own practice slips which can be quite frustrating. As always balance is the key so I will keep trying and sometimes I'll get it right!

Embroidered Goose

Embroidered Goose: Detail

Embroidered Goose: Detail

Over the last couple of months I've been blogging less regularly, largely because although I have been busy with work it's mostly been bits and pieces and planning for things. I wanted to get a post in before Christmas so I thought I would just do a little round up and reflection of some of the things I've been up to as this seemed to fit in with the idea of reflections and resolutions.

Embroidered Bird

Embroidered Bird: Detail

Embroidered Bird: Detail

I have lots of exciting workshops lined up for next year so one of the things I've been working on is making samples and example pieces for these workshops. In February I am running a workshop at Tullie House based around embellishing printed fabrics, this has given me an excellent reason to work on some more of my stitched birds. This in turn has led onto some ideas for how to develop my own artwork, I have been drawing birds directly onto plain fabric and painting them and the next step is to start embroidering them. I'm excited about this and looking forward to seeing how it all works out...

Drawing on Fabric

Painted and ready to stitch

I have also been experimenting with my drawing a bit more. I almost always work in pen on paper with continuous line so I am trying to be a bit more experimental. This week I have been playing with ink, early days but I think this could lead to some interesting drawings.


Inky feathers

Inky feathers

Inky feathers

For my birthday this year we travelled up to Dumfries and as well as generally enjoying ourselves and having a nice break we visited the Gracefield Arts Centre. I was really impressed, I thought the spaces were beautiful and the exhibitions really interesting. I particularly enjoyed the Frost and Fire exhibition by Circle Arts and felt really inspired and enthused about getting into my studio and making my own work.

Birthday treat: Weekend away

Sunny winter walks

So, a good year has been had and I'm hopeful for another good year to come with lots of making, exploring and visiting. I hope you all have a peaceful Christmas and a very Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment