Pages

Wednesday 15 June 2016

Life Drawing 17.5.16

Pen, continuous line

This month's session was a full one! It was lovely to have so many new faces as well as my regulars and although it was a bit of a squeeze there was a good energy about the session. I may need to start putting a bit more thought into how I set the room up as with more people there's less opportunity to move around and I always like to make sure the model has plenty of room so they don't feel the need to limit any of their poses due to space.

Pen, continuous line

Pen, continuous line

Pen, continuous line

As always our model gave us some excellent poses and I really enjoyed the challenges thrown up by her poses. On one of the Life Drawing Facebook pages I follow there was a discussion recently about whether the artist/tutor should set the poses or whether it should be left to the model. I tend to think that in most cases it's best to leave it to the model as they have a much better idea of what their body can do and often have different and exciting ideas to bring to a session.

Pen, continuous line

Pen, continuous line

Pen, continuous line (left handed)

Following on from the session I ran at Carlisle Border Art Society last month I spent a bit of time drawing with my left (non dominant) hand. I really like the challenge of this, it's hard at first as I really want to swap back to my right hand but it's interesting seeing the results. I'm hoping that as I do this more and more it will become easier and my drawings will become more accurate with my left hand. According to research this kind of activity helps create new neural pathways in the brain so as well as being good for my artistic practice it's a good brain workout!

Pen, continuous line

Pen, continuous line

Pen, continuous line

Pen, continuous line, blind

As well as experimenting with non-dominant hand drawing I also did lots of my usual, quick continuous line and 'blind' drawings. I love this way of working, I love the freedom and satisfaction of just drawing, of feeling the pen glide across the paper, hoping that I will create a drawing I'm pleased with but not worrying about it, knowing that there will be plenty more drawings so if this one doesn't work out it doesn't matter. I also enjoy the focus, when I'm drawing that is what is occupying my mind, I'm not worrying about all the other things I should be doing. I've fallen out of my daily drawing practice a bit recently and sessions like this remind me why it's such a good thing to do!

Coloured pencil

Pen, continuous line, blind

Pen, continuous line

No comments:

Post a Comment