Pages

Friday 8 June 2018

Wingspan: Carlisle Library 6th-30th June 2018



In the same way that busses always appear in multiples it feels that recently exhibitions are doing the same thing for me. Over the past few weeks I've been installing and uninstalling exhibitions like there's no tomorrow. The latest one is a slightly revised version of the 'Wingspan' exhibition of art and poetry that my partner and I had at RSPB Geltsdale. It is now on show at Carlisle Library and I'm really rather pleased with how it's worked out. 

Installation view at Carlisle Library

Display case

Display case

One of the things that I like about exhibiting at the RSPB Geltsdale Gallery is that it's a little bit unexpected; people don't generally go there to see art exhibitions but I've had some great feedback from visitors and as the work is inspired by nature it's good being able to show it in a wild place. Exhibiting at the library is different again, it's not necessarily where you'd go to see an exhibition and I like that by showing work here I can exhibit to people who ordinarily might not see my work. It's a shared public space and used by a wide range of people which I think makes it a great place to show art. 


It being a public space does of course mean that there are other challenges; the work is not behind glass and of course there is not the same 'do not touch' culture in a library that there is in a gallery. Because of this I decided not to put some of the bigger hangings and more fragile pieces in, I don't think people would deliberately damage my work but textiles can be fragile and susceptible to marks if not handled carefully and I didn't want to take the risk. I'm also using display boards rather than gallery walls so I've had to be creative with my hanging and mounting and am relying largely on the power of Velcro and please do not touch signs! I have put a few smaller pieces in a glass cabinet downstairs (most of the work is upstairs) and I'm pleased with how this looks and it acts as a bit of a 'signpost' to the rest of the exhibition. 

Exhibition view: Carlisle Library

Exhibition view: Carlisle Library

Exhibition view: Carlisle Library

I don't think that the exhibition is quite as cohesive in terms of the relationship between Nick's poems and my artworks as it was at RSPB Geltsdale as a lot of the work I've taken out for the library show is the work that ties directly to the poems. However, it's given me a chance to put some other pieces up and I still think there's a strong connection between his writing and my art. We're both very inspired by the natural world, the wild places we visit and the wildlife we see and I think that still comes through. If you go and visit I'd love to hear your thoughts, it's on show until 30th June. 

No comments:

Post a Comment