Pages

Saturday 19 November 2016

Life Drawing 15.11.16


Pen, continuous line

As often happens on Life Drawing days I had a quite stressful time at work and so really didn't feel like dragging myself out again but, as usual, I was glad that I did. I've written before about how the personality of the model and the artists all affect the atmosphere of the sessions and this session was a good example of that.

Pen, continuous line 
Pen, continuous line

Pen, continuous line

Our model is very politically minded and it was interesting how over the course of the session we ended up with a bit of a narrative through the poses; one of her first poses was a head in hands despair type pose and she then moved through curled up hiding poses to more open, calm poses and finally quite a strident action pose. This prompted quite a lot of conversations and laughs and also some interesting discussions about whether you could use Life Drawing as a political statement. It also highlights one of the reasons I believe Life Drawing is both an exciting and important part of any artists practice; because you are working with another human being there is always the possibility of something unexpected happening and of being influenced in ways you may not have anticipated.

Pen, continuous line

Pen, continuous line

Pen, continuous line

Pen, continuous line

I wrote last time that providing poses for the model made me think about what interests me about drawing the human body. When our model asked if we had any preferences I asked for something with a bit of twist which backfired somewhat as I ended up with some extremely challenging foreshortening! However, it was a good technical challenge and whilst I didn't quite manage to get it right it did stretch me and that's the only way to improve.

Extreme foreshortening: Blind Drawing

Blind drawing

Pen, continuous line

Pen

I was pleased with my drawing this evening. I set out just to draw and enjoy the process so this helped me relax and not worry about the outcome which in turn meant that my drawing was quite free and probably better that if I'd been focusing really hard. I did a lot of blind drawing and I'm surprised at how accurate these are becoming, I like the odd proportions that sometimes emerge but also the fact that generally they are recognisable as the pose set. 

Pen, continuous line


No comments:

Post a Comment